Friday, January 15, 2010

Completed adding more mass to basement ceiling

In my last post I mentioned a short cut for adding layers of sheetrock to the ceiling between the joists. Gervais recommends putting up one layer of sheetrock at a time, and apply foam backer rod with caulking around the gaps for each layer.

Instead, I cut the sheetrock so that the 3 layers were still joined by folding the sheetrock. This allowed for putting all 3 layers up at once. I then used spray foam to seal all the gaps. I ended up doing about half the work myself. Both the builders and I found it took about an hour to do each joist gap (about 14ft in length). With about 30 joists in total, this is a considerable time investment. If I had followed the exact technique described by Gervais, it would have taken at least 3 times as long.

In terms of physical work, it will easily be the most difficult task in completing my basement - and its complete!

Before:

After:

See photo gallery for more images.

No comments:

Post a Comment